Friday, April 30, 2010

The Makeup Show NYC



You guys have no idea how BOOSTED I am to be going to The Powder Group's The Makeup Show in NYC this year! I have waited FOR.EV.ER for this trip, and i called my mentor a few days ago to share my excitement. Of course, she was equally as excited; however, she did bring up some interesting points about getting "lost in the makeup show", especially with this being my first time attending.

According to Kim, it's very easy to get to the Metropolitan Pavilion, go apeshit buying everything you see, and go home completely broke. Let me be the first to tell you: that is NOT for the kid. *shakes head disapprovingly* I am not the one who needs to blow hundreds and hundreds of $$ on makeup in one weekend. Not a good look. So, she shared with me her plan of action, which she lovingly called 'strategic shopping'.  She said I need a plan of action as well, and advised that I take some time to take stock of my makeup kit, evaluate what I have vs. what I need, be honest with myself about where my artistry is vs where I want it to go, and make a list. The idea is to be hard core, to have a plan in place so that I don't get carried away by the glitz and glamour and chaos of just BEING at The Makeup Show and run wild like a freed gorilla. *eye roll*

Picture that. Me. In NYC during the first weekend of Makeup Week. With friends, free time, and money to spend. *blink, blink* Yeah. We'd better get ta planning. Ret now.

Because my kit is metal with stackable trays, it isn't very flexible or pliable. It is large and difficult to maneuver at times, especially when all the trays are full. So, the first thing I want to do is purchase a new kit. It needs to be softer, made of a material (not metal), and have wheels. This is what I found:

This is the Heavy Duty Toughwear® Makeup/Moulage Case On Wheels.
Its weatherproof, tearproof, everything proof. AND it's got wheels. It retails for 69.99 at www.paintandpowderstore.com and I do believe that I'm allotted a discount on this item as a TPG Pro Member. Boost! The color could stand to be a little sassier, but hey, I won't complain...especially if I DO get a discount on it.

Next, there's this, which I've actually been stalking for about a year and half now but have refused to break down and spend the money:


This is the Pro Soft Sided Rolling Cosmetic Case w/ Trays, sold at www.yazmo.com. It retails for about $160 and there is NO DISCOUNT on this one, lol. *smh* Who can afford to spend $160 on a KIT, in this recession??  *Exasperated sigh* Maaaan, they're makin it hard for The Kid, I tell ya. 
Its a tough choice because while the former has a much better price, the latter has way  more space and compartments. Choices, choices...


The next thing I definitely have to purchase is an airbrush machine. I feel like I'm the only MUA left in the world who doesn't do airbrushing. Kinda feels like I'm a dinosaur, lol. Though I've taken no classes on airbrushing, and the next class that I'm able to take isn't offered until October, I still intend to purchase the entire system, take it home, and play with it. I figure I know enough people who HAVE taken the class that they can point me in the right direction. I have been blessed to know some of the best MUAs this town has to offer, and I find their wealth of knowledge invaluable whenever I'm stumped. 


In the case of which airbrush machine is best, I've basically whittled it down to Graftobian or OCC

OCC AIRBRUSH MAKEUP STARTER SET:
1. Their system is smaller and easier to handle.
2. Reviews and personal testimonies suggest its easy(er) to use.
3. It's affordable.
4. It's recommended for students and anyone else who's new to airbrush makeup. *points to self*

Graftobian GlamAire™ Silver Jet Beauty System:
1. Its not as affordable, but for the price ($499) you get a full system that does face and body airbrushing. 
2. It's sleek, silver and pretty, lol.
3. It comes with full size products, and I was already gonna purchase Graftobian foundation palettes anyway.


I think that might be it for Graftobian. I'll let you know what happens after May 17th. 


Besides a new kit and an airbrush machine, I'll be adding the following:


Graftobian HD Glamour Creme Super Palettes in Warm, Neutral, and Cool
Graftobian HD Pro Powder Foundation Palettes in Warm, Neutral, and Cool 
Graftobian Hi-Def Glamour Creme Blush Palette
Mehron Tattoo CoveRing concealer
Keromask® Concealer and Camouflage Cream in all colors
Graftobian Lip Color Super Palette which isn't really a huge necessity but I still want it
A Travel Light like this one, but cheaper:  Stik-Up Light Kit, with Lamp & Filters
Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation liquid in all colors


I think that takes care of everything I need. Lord knows I have more than enough eyeshadows, and those that I don't have, i can mix and make myself.  Oh, and I also need more gel liners  in white, pink, lavender, and turquoise. 


Once I sit down and tally up how much all this is gonna cost me--and after the ambulance finds me stretched out in my living room floor, passed out--I'll be ready to hit the makeup show and get back to work confidently.

My  makeup class/party is tomorrow and I can't WAIT to get pics of it for you! 


P.S.
In a few more days, I'll start blogging about my upcoming vacation in Miami here.  Stay TUNED!

Kisses!


BD

No comments:

Post a Comment