Thursday, February 26, 2009

Confession: Checkers

Tonight, while on the way home from work, I realized that Tae Kwon Do class is done for the week (he goes twice per week) so tonight would be a free night to just chill and relax. So, we went to Chili's and had an excellent dinner together. There was a moment during dinner where we were both laughing and giggling so uncontrollably, that I caught myself taking a mental polaroid of the moment. There are times when I find little pockets of joy in life, and I remind myself to always commit those moments to memory so that when i'm having a not-so-joyful moment in the future, I can reach into my mental rolodex, reference the joyful moment, and go right back to that place.
We stuffed ourselves to capacity at dinner, lol, and drove home. Once home, we started a game of checkers. Throughout the game, he was admittedly making better moves than I was. He wasn't boastful or anything, but he seemed happy. Towards the end, though...once we both got kings...and I started making better moves, he began to sink. His whole demeanor changed, his voice changed. He became fidgety and would not sit still. His movements were causing the board to shake and the pieces to scatter. I warned him twice not to do it again, but he did it one last time and the pieces went everywhere. Time to put the game up. He covers his face oh-so-dramatically and begins to cry. I was APPALLED!! Are you crying?? Like a GIRL??! I had to GO! Then he launches into the funkiest attitude of the year. mumbling under the breath, throwing things, sucking the teeth. I can't stand it!

Is this what I'm heading into for this next year?? I cant do it, y'all. I just can't.

Saturday morning we're having a home visit from Tracy, owner of The Educated Babysitter--a new sitting service I'm considering for him. I have to get a part time job...I just have to. I can't leave him home, so I need to find a sitter. Tracy seems very nice, and qualified. She's coming by saturday morning to meet us both in person, let us meet her, and get a feel for everything. He doesn't want me to get a second job, of course. But, I know that unless I do, we'll always be right here, where we are. I have plans-big plans-plans that don't include sleeping in this shoebox apt in the DMV area and taking orders from Germans all damn day. So I'ma get this thing going.

No sacrifice, no victory <---------- One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, "Transformers".

That's all for today. I'm exhausted. Turning in early, folks.

Remember to make tomorrow a beautiful day :-) Good night, and sleep well.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment